Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Meet the Crew: Ryan Glaspell

On Monday we met Daniel Bonner and Sissy Broadwater, the passionate managers of the Main Street Cafe. Today, we're going to say hello to Ryan Glaspell. Before we begin I feel it imperative to state that I am Ryan Glaspell.

I am a journalism student at West Virginia University, and I recently began working with the Main Street Cafe. Writing a flattering introduction about myself seems pretentious and weird, so I asked Daniel Bonner to provide a sentence or two about who I am.

"Ryan Glaspell is a kind hearted man. One minute with him and you will know he is a genuinely good person, and those are hard to come by." - Daniel Bonner, manager at the Main Street Cafe

Ryan Glaspell, blogger and social media coordinator for the Main Street Cafe.

What is your name and position at the Main Street Cafe?

I'm Ryan Glaspell. I run the cafe's blog and help with the social media.

When and why did you get involved with the Main Street Cafe?

I work at Cinemark with Daniel (Bonner), and when he told me that he may be managing the cafe I told him that I would love to help any way that I could. This was happening around Christmas break, I think. I initially offered running open mic, but then he mentioned having a blog. I recently took a blogging class at WVU, and really fell in love with the online medium. I also believe in Daniel and Sissy's vision for the cafe. Community is really important to me, and music has always been a central part in my life, so this is the perfect opportunity for me.

Favorite musician/band?

Bayside. Bayside has been my favorite band since I was in, like, 8th grade. Their music is very honest and energetic and Anthony Raneri is an incredible lyricist. They consistently make amazing music. I also am in love with Anthony Green. All of his projects, Saosin, Circa Survive, The Sound of Animals Fighting, his solo stuff, it has an irresistible energy to it. You can hear his heart in everything he does. He's also very beautiful.

Favorite movie?

I don't have a clear favorite, but I thoroughly enjoy Zombieland, Dinner for Schmuck and Kick-Ass. The Secret Life of Walter Mitty was rad too.

Favorite drink?

V8 Fusion Energy when I'm feeling healthy, and blueberry Red Bull when I want to get hype.

What are you most excited about with the Main Street Cafe?

I'm excited to see the blog grow as the cafe grows. There is so much potential for this to be an incredible place for people to hang out and grab a coffee or beer. It's got everything it needs to be a unique, booming music venue, too. I'm excited to see more people buy into it, and to see the blog develop with it.

What has been your favorite memory of the Cafe so far?

Over the summer, prior to the remodeling and change in management, I performed an acoustic set at a show here. It was with the band Terrible Things, who came from Philly. They put on a crazy show, and to have shared that experience at the cafe, and now to see it evolving into what it's becoming, it is just awesome.

What is your dream for the cafe? 

I want it to be the place to hang out. Clarksburg doesn't really have a great coffee shop. If people want to do something, then they have to go out to eat, or go to the movies. The cafe would be able to provide music, art and just a building where people of all ages can congregate and have a good time. Clarksburg needs that. I think that this could easily be that.

You’re stranded on a deserted island. What are your three essentials?

A Bible for sure. I want to say a guitar, but the strings will eventually snap or just get really dull, so not that. A machete would be useful. And then I'd bring a book on all the different types of berries. Which are safe to eat and which aren't. Do deserted islands have berries? I hope so, or else that book is useless.

Leave everyone with your best bit of life advice.

Stop worrying about so much stuff. Life is going to have hard times and good times, but if you spend your life stressing and worrying, then you can't appreciate the good stuff. Some arguments aren't that important. If you focus on loving others, and don't let your own pride get in your way, then life is a beautiful thing. Be humble. Be generous. Love others like it is the last thing on earth to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment